Rehab by the week

Upcoming Rehab schedule, blue has been done.

Friday 3.17
Vet Visit ultrasound examination showed no more fluid buildup on right stifle.
#1 shot Adequan (of 7 shot sequence over 28 days)

Sunday 3.19
was not able to lift front legs for farrier trim. Stumbled on back.

Tuesday 3.21
#2 shot Adequan

Wednesday 3.22
#1 Rehab workout 30 minutes: 10 walk, 10 walk-trot, 10 walk on straight lines – no lunging. Energy was good, willing to trot, not pushy or rushing.

Thursday 3.23
Masterson Method – left side, bladder meridian. Need to spend more time on this – maybe doing some daily. Easily gave me some great releases between the poll and withers. Was able to lift his right foreleg but still having issues lifting the left foreleg (diagonal to the right stifle which is hurt). Is willing to trot.

Texted with vet and yes, she wants Cosequin started, so I’ll be starting it tomorrow.

Still not eating the beet pulp if alfalfa is presented. Tomorrow, I’ll feed beet pulp in the a.m. with no alfalfa and lock him up and see if I can get him to eat it all as it is very important he takes all his meds first.

Friday 3.24
#2 Rehab workout 10-10-10
Not a great workout. He was a bit overhypped. Not as much trotting as we need to do. So I’ll do another workout tomorrow.  Didn’t want to lift the left foreleg so is obviously still not feeling strong enough to keep it up long.

Did not eat breakfast even though I left him locked up with only his beet pulp. ARGH Will have to change the feed for his vitamins and minerals.

Did some stifle releases with Masterson Method and got good releases on the left but wouldn’t release the right.

Cosequin started.

Saturday 3.25
#3 shot Adequan
Rain so no workout. However, did do his tail pulls and he was doing much better with his hindquarter stability. Was also able to lift each of his forefeet! Yay! I think he’s getting a bit stronger already.

When I arrived in the morning he had finished yesterday’s beet pulp. This a.m. fed beet pulp and came back at 5 p.m. and he had not finished. I’m beginning to think he might eat this overnight so if I syringed him in the morning with his ALCAR and have a p.m. feeder dump his food (with remaining vitamins and minerals) for me to check it the next morning might work.

Did buy 5 bales of alfalfa to see if I can extend the times before going to the feedstore but I am going to up his alfalfa once I get him to eat his beet pulp.

Started ponies back on the Purina Miniature Pony feed as Dulce has lost too much weight and doesn’t maintain on grass/hay alone, unlike Dancer who is an air fern.

Sunday 3.26
#3 Rehab workout 10-10-10

Monday 3.27
Masterson Method

Tuesday 3.28
#1 Rehab workout 10 walk, 15 (walk-trot), 10 walk

Wednesday 3.29
#4 shot Adequan (need to buy the next set from vet)

Thursday 3.30
Masterson Method

Friday 3.31
#2 Rehab workout 10-15-10

Saturday 4.1
Day off

Sunday 4.2
#5 shot Adequan

Monday 4.3
#3 Rehab workout 10-15-10

Tuesday 4.4
#1 Rehab workout on lunge, 20 m circle or larger, 30 minutes

Wednesday 4.5
Day off

Thursday 4.6
#6 shot Adequan

Friday 4.7
#2 Rehab workout on lunge, 20 m circle or larger, 30 minutes

Saturday 4,9
Masterson Method

Sunday 4.9
#3 Rehab workout on lunge, 20 m circle or larger, 30 minutes

Monday 4.10
#7 shot Adequan

Tuesday 4.11
off

Wednesday 4.12
Regular lunge workout

Thursday 4.13
Regular lunge workout

Friday 4.14
Vet exam – x-rays of the hocks and fetlocks

Also, buying the Back on Track hock boots on payday 3.31.

Future schedule:
A.M. FEED – soaked beet pulp without molasses with his vitamin and mineral needs.Put on hock boots.

3 hours later – return, remove hock boots do whatever workout we are going to do (if any), and afterwards feed 3 flakes of alfalfa as a reward.

Posted in Dante, horse lameness, Masterson Method MM

Two week vet followup for Dante

The vet returned today for a followup. She did another flexion test and thought he had improved about 50% on his stifle injury and had more reach with his hind legs. She also did a new ultrasound and was (pleasantly) surprised to see that all the fluid was GONE. So the Hyaluronic Acid injection two weeks ago did the trick for that.

However, there is a thickness to the area that shouldn’t be there so a.) there is probably still damage there that was caused by the injury in December OR b.) there is damage there from a chronic injury (I get the feeling she leans that way).

After talking over options with her and knowing my checkbook, I decided to start Adequan injections. This will start as a series of 7 injections, spaced out four days between. He will either improve or not. If improved, great, we will meet up with the vet in 2 months and re-evaluate, probably going on a monthly injection. If no improvement, within a few weeks of rehab, call her and do another followup with x-rays.

Even if he improves, I’m going to have her out to do x-rays on the stifles and hocks. He may have something chronic with that stifle such as a cyst (she talked about that a lot so either that is her pet theory or she sees a lot of that) and if a cyst we have two other possible treatments which I will go into another time as we get there. There is no reason to rush the fence as yet – let’s see what happens.

Right now he is on rehab exercise of 2 weeks of 3x a week, walking 10 minutes, trot 10 minutes (straight lines only) and 10 minutes cooldown. After 2 weeks, trot can be increased 15 minutes, then 4th week in 20 minutes – this is all in hand work.

Feeling pretty emotionally exhausted but also believe we are going the right direction.

Posted in Dante, horse lameness, vet visit

Off of stall rest

He’s back to having pasture access. I’ll give him a light workout on Friday and see if there is any change. At this time, he looks the same to me – still short and tight in the back legs.

I got word that next week may be better financial wise then expected so when she comes back on the 17th, I’m going to ask for another ultrasound of the stifle, x-rays of the hocks and hock injections.

Posted in Dante, horse lameness

Stifle update

The Vet came out Friday to examine Dante. She did a flexion test which is a pretty standard approach to start pinpointing where the lameness issues might be. During a flexion test, each joint of the leg is held in a contracted position for some time and after the leg is released, the horse is asked to trot off.

As expected he showed issues with the test on the right stifle where he was injured back in December. However, he also jumped/hopped two steps out of having his left hock held.

This was a horse who passed as sound in a vet’s PPE last June. I will tell you that in my opinion with all that I’ve found out since (such as the gross misrepresentation of his age and the “routine” dental was really an impacted molar) I believe that vet was either a.) incompetent or b.) had a dodgy deal with the trainer to pass her horses for a kickback. Either is possible so if you need an equine vet in mid-Kansas you may want to check with me prior and I will send you this male vet’s name as a person to be avoided at all costs.

It’s always embarrassing to have your horse misbehave for the vet. Dante kicked out a few times and was a bit too strong for the handler (embarrassing!) but things got worse when she was going to ultrasound his stifles. He ended up rearing even with a chain! Wow! I was very surprised but I was 100% behind her sedating him.

Sedated, she was able to ultrasound both stifles and show me the difference. He does have damage to his right stifle and it was very obvious on the ultrasound (the right stifle liquid pocket was almost twice as big as the normal one due to inflammation).

We talked options and I agreed that we should inject him now with Hyaluronic Acid (HA) into the affected joint; she also adds bute for the first day. He is to be kept up for 3 days and then off from work for another 2 days. I went ahead and set a followup appointment on the 17th.

She also believes he will have hock issues of some sort so at the end of the month, I’ll have her back again to x-ray the hocks and most likely, do injections on them. Right now though I want to do one thing, see the result and then proceed. This helps to keep focus on what is working and what isn’t.

I asked for and got some recommendations on joint supplements for him: Cosequin or Platinum Performance  CJ.

What the outcome of all this will be is too soon to tell.

Meanwhile, some brohaha from the guy who rents the house because we had to use the shade of the house to see the ultrasound on the laptop and thus was in the front yard. He was all up in my business and immediately called someone on the phone when he saw me (the landowner?).

The vet kept apologizing to me and I told her not to worry or concern herself about him because the renter doesn’t own the property and I know the property owner has my back. Just another irritation that I didn’t need during the worrisome vet exam. Asshole.

Posted in Dante, vet visit

Vet visit scheduled

Finally was able to get a vet visit on Friday. We will probably end up doing a series of nerve blocks to determine where the lameness is. This is just the beginning of what I foresee as being a HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS.

I’ve been having some very low days in regards to my decision to buy Dante. Here we are 6 months later and no riding – and more days I am thinking I made a huge mistake then how lucky I am.

Well, will have to wait to see if I get any answers on Friday. Dealing with lameness, I suspect a lot of “could-be”, “wait and see”, “lets try this” crap. And lots and lots of KA-CHING payments to the vet with no answers and no improvement. Vets love those horses that keep the money rolling in.

Posted in Dante, vet visit