Battling thrush and trimming frogs

One reason that Pandora is up in the stall area is because we are still battling hoof issues with her. The actual hooves are looking much better but with the wet, the frogs have gotten thrush. I have a video where I discuss how to treat this with using equal parts of Neosporin (or other triple antibiotic) with clotrimazole.

I ended up also putting her into Animalintex poultice pad thinking at first her lameness might be an abscess about ready to blow out. Here’s a video of how to use one:

My pad wasn’t shaped like a horses’ hoof but I cut it into a square, wrapped it up around the exterior of the hoof, used Vetwrap and then ductape (do not get any on the horses hair). With Pandora, I left this on for 24 hours, removed and then started treating with the Neosporin/Clotrimazole ointment combination.

dancer_booted_hooves_2

 

Another possibility would be using a diaper, with the interior packed with Iodine and Sugar, and then wrapped as shown. Commercial products for a deep infection would be CleanTrax which I may end up buying if this doesn’t clear up soon.

 

This entry was posted in hooves, Pandora. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s