changing fences and installing gates


This has been a week of ups and downs with more stress then I thought. I’ve been wanting to make some changes in the paddock area at the barn and while I put the money back for it months ago, due to Dante’s need to be kept up (stifle injury) I couldn’t open the area for the new fence line.

Now the grass is green and I had to let Dancer out to the larger pasture so the fence could be worked on. As a pony she’s prone to founder and so it’s all one worry or another.

The new changes will allow me to separate all three horses for feeding or medical needs. It gives me a way to take Dante out to the field without risking that the ponies will follow me out the gate. It gives me a large enclosed area to lunge or work a horse in a smaller area as opposed to the pasture.

During summer, ponies are kept up in the dry lot of the training paddock, and when I work Dante there, I release the ponies over to the enclosed loafing shed area with no access to pasture.


This is all possible due to the gates (marked in red) which allow me to move and contain in a lot of different configurations. The larger gates (16′) are for tractor access; the smaller gates (4′) are big enough to bring a large horse through but small enough it allows me to easily close the gate one handed (four foot also allows a riding mower through).

The only thing it doesn’t give me is shelter for the ponies. I’m working on that but for now I will open the ponies to the loafing shed and close the gate to the pasture on days the weather is going bad.

I self board and I’m lucky enough that the barn owner is willing to make these changes for me. However, I did have to pay for those changes and it is all taking twice as long to get done as projected. I just need to stay patient.


Dante is doing so much better! Saturday morning we were finally able to do the front hooves. He stood like a champion! No squirming at all!

This next week I’ll be lifting the hind legs, walking him backwards up the small hill, hoof circles, and Masterson Method releases. His hind hooves desperately need a trim so I’m hoping to get that done this week.

I worked him on a lunge for a little bit of time to check him out and that also went well. In conclusion, is that we will do a variety of exercises in a work routine to keep him interested.

In 24 hours he learned leg lifts on command and this is his gungho activity! He thinks he’s a genius! It’s very obvious during this exercise that he has more flexibility on the right foreleg then the left (the right he loves to lift high, the left he lifts half as high). This isn’t surprising as it is the right stifle that he hurt so this lameness affects the diagonal foreleg – the left.

His mood is eager and interested. He’s definitely ready for more!

This entry was posted in Barn Design, fencing & arenas. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.